Technology has become a ubiquitous aspect of human society today. There is almost no industry out there that does not use technology in some form, directly or indirectly. We live in the golden age of science and tech and witness a paradigm shift in how we humans perform tasks & achieve objectives. The means to the end have gone digital as science and technology boost performance, expand the reach & influence and bring about drastic changes.
Amongst them all, the education sector shares a very close and symbiotic relationship with technology, and the reasons behind should be obvious. Educational systems and institutions have been employing different kinds of tech devices and applications for imparting knowledge in innovative and revolutionary ways. Besides remote learning and MOOCs, various educational institutions are now using tech
in varied ways.
Has technology’s influence on the educational sector been holistically beneficial, or are there serious causes of concern? Is technology proving to be a boon for education, or will it act as a significant disruption to dispensing knowledge?
Let’s look into this issue in greater details.
Examples of Implementing Technology in Classrooms
The modern classroom has gone drastically digital. The exponential growth of digital electronics and information technology has led to the rise of innovative dispensing knowledge methods, which offer greater accessibility, better connectivity, instant feedback and various other advantages.
Though we will look into the overall effect of using tech in the classroom and its impact on students, it won’t be far-fetched to assume that the myriad advantages offered by tech are the primary reasons why tutors & teachers are using technology to propel education & improve learning.
Here are a few potent examples of tech in the classroom.
- Google Classroom, an online learning management system and a popular virtual classroom web application;
- Classcraft, a gamified learning platform that imparts education through interactive activities and educational games
- Adobe Spark, an application that allows students to create their tutorial videos to reinforce any information learnt;
- Seesaw, a handy application where teachers, parents and students converge for better learning & education;
- Class VR, an extended reality platform that uses the power of virtual & augmented reality for education & training in the classroom;
Implementation of technology in the classroom is transforming educational journeys with gamification of learning and learning management platforms changing student behavior towards learning and education. A myriad of open online course platforms and information archives are excellent means of expanding knowledge and upgrading skills.
Simultaneously, online assignment help and writing services deliver exceptional assistance for any subject, from literature and language to commerce and even computer programming assignment help.
But, has traditional classroom education changed, and student behavior changed for the better? Let us find out what two research pieces are saying in this regard.
The Impact of Technology In Classroom Education: A Look Into Different Studies
Before we begin, readers need to understand that researches will look into the impact of technology from a neutral perspective as is suitable. Naturally, their observations and recommendations will be unbiased and aimed at curbing the negative aspects of tech in the classroom, alongside emphasizing its advantages.
Research Paper 1
A research paper from the University of Wisconsin published in 2008 looked into the implications of using technology in the classroom. This particular research looked into the tech in the classroom when it was not yet as prevalent and pervasive as it is now. The observations and discussions were quite revealing.
- The research identifies five stages to successful implementation, integration, and effects of technology in a classroom by teaching personnel through the data gathered via surveys.
- The entry stage is when teachers were apprehensive and doubtful of using tech in the classroom.
- The adoption stage is when teachers start adopting and implementing tech to support conventional modes of education.
- The third stage is the adaptation stage where tech has been thoroughly integrated, and a significant increase in class productivity is observed along with increased active participation from students.
- The fourth stage is the appropriation stage when students have gained appropriate tech skills, and teachers are using the most appropriate technologies to dispense knowledge.
- Finally, we come to the invention stage, where teachers and even students develop new & innovative techniques for learning and education.
Studies show that in 2008, very few institutions had reached this particular stage. During the time period of this research, implementations of technology in education and other sectors were still in their nascent stage.
- Lack of proper training and ideas were the most significant reasons behind the slow adaptation of tech in classrooms and doubts regarding their effectiveness. Improved technical knowledge & skills and active student engagement have been considered great motivators for more widespread tech implementation in classrooms.
In light of the existing scenario in 2008, the final observations significant state advantages of implementing technology in classrooms. Simultaneously, the paper also observes the most prominent drawbacks and points of concern, such as lack of proper knowledge & tech skills of essay typer and lack of supervision while learning.
Research Paper 2
The next research article we will discuss is from 2015 and published in the International Journal of Research in Education and Science. The timeline chosen is of significance as various tech tools & applications were being implemented across the educational institutions with increasing frequency.
The research considers the integration of Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) of utmost importance in learning and education.
- The paper performs critical statistical analyses using reliability analyses ad hypothesis testing to make careful and accurate observations from their research data.
The research results show a significant influence of technology in classroom teaching methods. The researchers observe that the usage of ICT tools and techniques results in creating an active learning environment, which motivates both teachers and students to utilize tech more.
- The research discusses the observations and findings that clearly show a stark influence of tech integration in schools from both rural and urban areas. Surveys show that students learn more effectively with technologically augmented learning methods.
- The study also shows that the Internet, another technological marvel, has also helped enhance classroom education. The Web allows access to different repositories of information and is a useful tool for improving ideas, concepts and knowledge about any subject under the sun.
- The 2015 research clearly shows increased acceptance and the tangible benefits of technology in classrooms. The study also points out some lingering apprehensions of teachers about implementing technology in classes, with the most prominent one being a lack of proper tech skills and ideas about making the best use of the available technological resources.
The research concludes by stating that implementing technological measures in any classroom should be initiated right from the outset. This ensures a thorough and holistic learning and teaching experience for students and teachers. Employing appropriate digital technologies and communication devices in conventional classroom education exposes students to the practical aspects. It is a powerful driver for better & more effective learning.
An In-Depth Article
The Cambridge International Education department made some critical observations and pinpointed some of the most potent benefits of technology in classrooms.
- Active learning, better engagement, increased participation, dialogic practice and an emancipated learning system are the biggest advantages of tech-supported education. Classroom technology offers various unconventional and unique ways of accessing knowledge, different from those provided by the more traditional methods.
- Tech improves and augments typical learning activities by connecting real-life information with bookish knowledge. A very engaging supplement to formal education and proper guidance during tech-enhanced learning can help learners better understand and learn faster.
- Instantaneous feedback is another central plus point of using digital technology in classrooms. The simplest example can be computers that provide instant results to students for their Rate my Paper and help them clear their doubts then & there.
- Some causes of concern need to be attended to by administrators, though. The article points out major ones such as:
- A digital divide due to socio-economic reasons
- Lack of guidance and supervision
- Resource availability
- The necessity of effective and efficient usage with appropriate restrictions
Overall, we can say that the degree of success in the implementation of technology in the classroom and education depends on the way it’s used by the parties involved.
Technology is just a tool, and it is up to the people concerned to determine the best possible means of using tech to enhance education and learning.