Instagram is a mobile-friendly application and a social media platform purchased by Facebook in 2012. It permits users to edit and upload photos and short videos. The users can add a caption to each of their posts, utilize hashtags and location-based geotags to index them and make them fully searchable by other users within the app. Each post by a user pops up on the Instagram feed of their followers and can also be watched by the public when tagged utilizing hashtags or geotags. In addition, the users can also keep their profile private so that only their followers can see their posts.
Instagram is not only used for personal purposes but also by businesses. It offers the firms a chance to start a free business account to promote their brand’s products and services. The firms’ business accounts contain access to free engagement and impression metrics.
According to Instagram, more than a million advertisers worldwide utilize Instagram to share their stories and drive business results. Despite all this, Instagram Scams are frequently occurring. Many people become victims of these scams and suffer severe consequences. Therefore, they should know about Instagram, these scams and their red flags.
- Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger initiated Instagram in San Francisco. They initially attempted to create a platform similar to Foursquare but turned their attention entirely to photo sharing.
- The Instagram app for IOS came on 6th October 2010, whereas for Android, it came on 3rd April 2012.
- The platform’s popularity has increased, with the firm reporting more than forty million active users just a couple of years after the launch. Due to this, Facebook officially bought Instagram for one billion dollars in 2012.
- Earlier, Instagram could only post photos. Later, the firm expanded to a video length of 15 seconds in 2013. In 2016, it further expanded to a maximum video length of 60 seconds.
Benefits of using Instagram:
People can obtain several below-mentioned benefits through Instagram.
- Less cost or almost free:
The Instagram app is available for free of cost in the play store or App store. The users can log in and create their accounts without paying any money. Therefore, users with smartphones can utilize the app whenever they want.
- Assists in increasing contacts:
Instagram is a social networking service that helps you stay in touch with friends and follow celebrities. If anyone misses or wants to reconnect with their old friends, they can search for them on Instagram, while business tycoons can also create pages and request people to follow them. In this way, ordinary and business people can increase their contacts.
- Ability to share videos, photos, and other information:
People can share their videos, photos, and loads of business information on Instagram. In addition, it is a famous platform for people to upload their stories and post about several other things to keep people updated with what they regularly do.
- Many marketing opportunities:
Many people advertise their products on Instagram pages. As a result, it increased market opportunities for ventures as they can promote their products and research the market demands.
- Obtain connections with other social media networks:
Other social media networks, like Facebook, Twitter, etc., can easily connect with Instagram. The stories shared on Instagram can be shared on Facebook as well.
- Impressive Filters:
Nowadays, there are many filters on Instagram for uploading videos and pictures. People love using these filters and even create reels by using them.
- The capacity of earning:
An individual can earn money through Instagram in several ways, such as creating and selling products, brand sponsoring, monetizing videos with advertising, fan membership and content creation, etc.
- Branding of the business:
Most of the business branding is done only via social media. Initially, the entrepreneur understands the interests and demands of people, and then with the increased fame, it conveniently sells and purchases in its brand name.
- Improvement in Communication skills:
Instagram helps people in improving their communication skills. This platform permits people to communicate more directly, which could be helpful in circumstances where verbal communication is complex or impossible.
- Creation of memorable moments:
Users can make lasting memories by taking photos and videos that capture memorable moments. These moments can be helpful when people want to recollect an event or a moment in their life. Additionally, by using hashtags, users can conveniently share these memories with others.
- Increase in website traffic:
With the help of Instagram, you’ll get many users to visit your website. You can gain users through the link in your bio or the links you incorporate in your feed like posts or stories.
- Wide Dissemination:
Another benefit of using Instagram is that you’ll be able to reach many people and create content relevant to your audience’s interests. Additionally, if you link your account with other social media platforms, your popularity increases.
- Interaction and feedback:
Instagram also helps you to interact with your real-time audience, understand their concerns and get feedback for improvement. Using hashtags, you’ll be able to watch what the users publish and how they share their experiences with the brand. This will help you to know about your customers correctly. In addition, you should also note that Instagram users follow brands to know about them in a better way.
Instagram Frauds are becoming increasingly common. People of all age groups suffer from these scams due to their ignorance. Hence, they should know about these frauds and their pre indications to keep themselves safe.
Types of Instagram Frauds:
Mentioned below are the types of Instagram frauds.
- Romance Instagram Fraud:
Romance fraudsters send romantic messages to unknown people on Instagram by pretending to be divorced, widowed, or distressed. They’ll engage in online relationships declaring that they require money for medical emergencies, flights, or visas. Their ultimate aim is to obtain your trust so that the conversations progress for weeks before they request for money. Therefore, it is better to be vigilant about engaging in such conversations with unknown people in real life.
- Lottery Instagram Fraud:
Lottery Instagram frauds often occur from Instagram accounts that impersonate someone known to you or an organization. The messages will state that you’re one of the lottery winners and that you can obtain your money for a minimum advance fee. The fraudster might request you to give your personal information, such as your residential address or bank details which they can utilize for criminal activities.
- Loan Instagram Frauds:
The loan scammers send messages or comment on posts offering instant loans at a lower interest rate for a minimum advance fee. Once an initial payment is made, they might request more money to provide a larger loan or end the conversation and vanish with the amount. Therefore, it is better to refrain from making transactions with unknown people.
Tips to safeguard yourself from Instagram Frauds:
Follow the advice outlined in this article to help protect yourself from Instagram Frauds.
- If anyone pitches you in a deal that seems excellent enough to be true, then most likely, it’s a fraud. Always remember to be alert and use common sense while interacting with others on Instagram.
- Using two-factor authentication can help prevent anyone else from logging in to your Instagram account, even if they obtain access to your password.
- If a person contacts you through Instagram, by pretending to be an influencer or a brand account, look for the blue verification check mark beside their name. If they are not having that, they are most likely to be a fake account.
- In a few cases, third-party apps might request for access to your Instagram account. Before proceeding, make sure to research and see whether the app is original or fake, as some apps could leak and sell your data.
- Keep your Instagram account private, so only the approved users will be permitted to view your account. You can do that by going to “Settings,” and selecting the “Privacy” option, and then turning on the “Private Account” feature.
- Keep your Instagram account safe by creating a strong and complicated password. By doing so, you can prevent fraudsters from hacking your account.
Conclusion: People using Instagram for personal and business purposes should remember to educate themselves about Instagram Frauds and their warning signals. In addition, they should also take responsibility of safeguarding their Instagram accounts from these frauds.