Both Gmail and Outlook offer their users the best services. Whereas Outlook stores its data in two file formats, one is PST and the other is OST. The Offline Outlook Data File (OST) stores and synchronises a copy of your mailbox items with your system. On the contrary, you can use Gmail with a user-friendly interface and give a smooth experience to its users. That’s why most users seek to import OST file to Gmail.
So, in this write-up, we will learn why users want to switch from OST to Gmail and methods to upload OST to Gmail manually and by using OST to PST Converter.
Reasons to Import OST file to Gmail
Although Outlook offers you the ability to work offline, this is not the only reason that allows users to stick with Outlook. There are certain disadvantages to OST files that push users towards Gmail. Let us have a look at why users want to import OST to Gmail.
- OST files have the issue of file corruption.
- You can not access OST files directly on any other system.
- You can not transfer an OST file directly unless it is converted into PST.
- Gmail is a browser-based email client, You can simply access it from any device after entering the password.
- You must have proper connectivity with the exchange server to open the OST file.
These are some reasons that lead users to import OST files to Gmail. Now, in the following section, we will learn some different and easy techniques for OST to Google Mail Migration.
Methods to Migrate OST to Gmail
You can not directly move OST files into Gmail. This migration task can proceed in two stages.
Stage 1: Convert OST to PST
Stage 2: Import the converted PST into Gmail using GSMMO.
Let’s go into greater detail about our stages.
Stage 1: Convert OST to PST
This is the first step towards the OST to Gmail Migration.
- Open MS Outlook and go to the Import/Export Wizard.
- Select Export to a file.
- Choose the file format as PST.
- Decide the location where you want to export your OST file.
- Save the destination for the exported file and manage the options for duplication.
- Lastly, tap Finish, and your OST file will be converted into PST.
Stage 2: Import the Converted PST into Gmail using GSMMO.
This is the next to import OST file to Gmail.
- Download the GSMMO (Google Workspace Migration for Microsoft) application and run it as an administrator.
- Enter the Gmail address and tap Continue.
- Then GSMMO asks to access your Google Account. Allow it.
- Select the Outlook user profile or PST that you want to migrate.
- Check the boxes that you wish to transfer.
- You can also choose two date ranges to migrate Outlook files.
- Finally, click the Migrate button to start the migration task.
- The last panel gives you details about the migration task.
By following these steps, you can easily import the OST file to Gmail. However, depending on the amount of data, this method can sometimes take up to two or three days to migrate. Alternatively, you also must possess technical skills to perform this task. In this situation, we advise you to use an expert-recommended utility that can help you to ease your migration task.
Import OST file to Gmail with Smart Approach
The best OST to PST Converter is the most reliable approach to import OST file to Gmail. It can also convert your OST into PST, PDF, MBOX, JSON, and others. Moreover, you can also migrate your data directly to other email clients like Thunderbird, Yahoo Mail, etc. You need not be technically skilled to execute this utility. Here are the steps to run this software.
Steps to Migrate OST to Gmail
- Download and install the OST to PST Converter utility.
- Select and add the OST files.
- From the tree structure, select the files or folders that you want to import.
- Select the file format as Gmail.
- Enter your Gmail ID and app password and tap Sign In.
- Select the features of the software in accordance with your needs.
- Tap Convert, and finally, your selected OST file will migrate into Gmail.
In this write-up, we have explained various ways to import OST file to Gmail either manually or professionally. Where manual processing is indirect and requires so much time for execution, professional tools are easy to use and can convert your OST file directly into multiple file formats and email clients. Moreover, it doesn’t require enough time to transfer OST to Gmail.