Air and water pollution is increasing at a concerning rate from the past few years. Not just in Australia, but pollution has become a major issue all around the world. But with time and awareness, people in Australia have become more environment conscious, switching to eco-friendly lifestyle choices and making decisions that are less harmful to the environment. The use of domestic air and water filtration systems has also risen over the course of time and activated carbon filters are one of the most popular filtration systems among Australian homeowners.
What Are Activated Carbon Filters?
Activated carbon filters is basically finely granulated carbon or powdered carbon. The granules are so cavernous and fine that a single gram of activated carbon covers a surface area of over 500 m2.
Activated carbon filter is an excellent form of air purifier and is used in different kinds of home air purification systems.
How Does It Work?
The carbon particles basically enable the filtration system through the adsorption of all kinds of contaminants and allergens present in the air. Although these are also used in water filtration systems and are equally effective there also, but when it comes to air filtration these activated carbon particles are super-efficient and are a very sustainable way of purifying air within domestic premises. The process of adsorption makes the pollutants stick to the filter due to a chemical reaction with the activated carbon particles.
The Key Features
While there is a variety of air purification systems for homes, activated carbon filters are one of the most preferable ones due to several advantageous features over other filtration systems. Let us take a look at the key features and functions of a very basic activated carbon filtration system.
- Easy and efficient removal of all kinds of allergens, pollutants and contaminants present in the air within the property.
- These filtration systems do not just remove the air pollutants, but also adsorbs any unpleasant odor present in the area.
- Activated carbon is often used in combination with regular HEPA filters to achieve maximum efficiency where these filters help trap particles as small as 0.3 microns and can help remove almost 99.97% of all impurities present in the air.
- Activated carbon filters are very beneficial for patients with chronic lung diseases, allergies or for people who are diagnosed with any respiratory or cardiac illness due to the impact of air impurities.
- These filters are a great solution for people who have smokers in their homes. The activated carbon particles can easily trap all the smoke and harmful particles that arise due to smoking and help prevent any kind of respiratory problems due to passive smoking.
Essential Things To Know About Activated Carbon And Making The Right Choice
There are several benefits of using activated carbon filters as air purification systems some of which have already been enumerated above. Along with those, activated carbon filtration systems are being used by several Australian homeowners due to the fact that these are the most effective filters available and can prevent a large number of health hazards and serious conditions by maintaining excellent air quality.
These filters remove a large number of particles from the air which include:
- Common household chemicals
- Mold spores
- Pet hairs
- Benzene and VOCs
A lot of companies are offering carbon filtersin Australia, but getting the one would essentially depend on the price, features and the reliability of the brand. You must know that not all air purification systems are the same and not all of them function in a similar manner. What you choose will entirely depend on your needs and your budget!
So to conclude we can say that carbon filters are a great addition in air purification systems. Being versatile in their functions they can be used alone or in combination with other filters to reduce the amount of impurities to a great extent.