Slab leaks are the most common occurrence in the soils that are the most unstable. Because basement walls might crack and shatter due to the strain of changing soils, homes are built on concrete slabs or using pier and beam construction. Slab leaks are extremely dangerous if not fixed promptly and perfectly. This is mainly because the water which runs under the house could finally and eventually erode the soil. This removes support for the slab, putting extra strain on it and perhaps causing cracks ranging in size from a hairline to an inch or more. The extent of the leak usually determines the extent of damage that is caused to the floors, walls, furniture, appliances, and more.
Here in this article, we will discuss how slab leaks are caused and what are the most common causes for them.
Slab leaks are usually caused by failures in the plumbing system which is usually due to faulty installation, weakened water lines, chemical reactions, and other metal corrosion in the plumbing system. The materials used to construct the plumbing system and their ages also pay huge importance in the slab leaks phenomenon. The different materials and metals usually used include the cast iron pipe, galvanized steel pipes, copper pipe, and then an assorted series of plastic pipes. The slab leak is known to be very sly and difficult to detect. The only derivative is to detect slab leaks and then repair them at the right time.
How common are slab leaks?
The frequency of slab leaks is usually varied from one region to another. In places where the earthquake is a regular phenomenon, the shifting ground could add on the pressure and create cracks and breaks all by itself. The age of the construction could also play a significant role in the frequency of the slab leaks as corrosion and deterioration are on a high level with the passing time of the homes. Water leaks in a slab foundation may go undiscovered by many homeowners until they receive a utility bill with a significantly higher than average water rate. Only after this particular incident usually, do homeowners check for every suspected cause of the leak but the correct detection sure is an exhilarating task. If you are looking for slab leak repair Powai, you could contact here.
Causes of the leak
The number one cause of the slab leak is the expansive soil shift that happens. As discussed above everything from the materials used to the plumbing infrastructure all of these components do play a very important role. But expansive soil shift is still deemed as the most common cause for a slab leak. The geographical location of the homes along with other natural disasters like earthquakes play a role in the soil shift experienced in the places.
A slow slab leak keeps leaking water into the earth beneath a house, causing even more soil expansion and, eventually, significant damage. The hydraulic pressure that has built up beneath a slab will eventually be released. Upward pressure thus created would result in a crack or creating weakness in the slabs. The presence of wet spots is another indication of slab leaks which are usually developed in hardwood floors and carpeting.
What are the signs you might have a slab leak?
1. Higher water bills: This one is the most common way of finding out about any underlying leaks. When the water bill is high without you personally using it, there is more investigation done in that area to detect the leak.
2. Sounds: The water running through and the sound it produces especially when none of the taps are open is another indication of slab leaks. To find slab leak repair San Marcos you could click here.
3. Visible cracks or wetness: the underlying water leak would start leaving cracks in the infrastructure along with wetness in carpets and flooring which are very easy to detect and are warning signs of the underlying leak problem.
4. Dis- coloration: just like the above mentioned ones, the dis-coloration of the floor coverings is another sign of the leak.
5. Foul Smell: With damp carpets and flooring the smell is very much going to be foul and this could help in understanding about the slab leak.
6. Shift in the soil: If you are able to see visible any shift in the soil structure, this is due to the underlying leaks and this could help in getting timely help for a prompt action about the leak.
These are the different causes of the most common problem of the housing structures- the slab leak. The slab leaks are very common and the frequency of them differs on the basis of multiple factors like location and the soil structure. Just like how a common cold could be directed towards something serious underneath, slab leaks could be aiming at something really wrong with the plumbing infrastructure.
The sly nature of the slab leaks makes it harder to be noticed by the homeowners. This is where regular maintenance checks and inspections from the plumbers could come in handy. They would be able to detect it way earlier and the right actions could be undertaken before it is too late. So the early signs mentioned here could help you in detecting a leak if at all. Be sure to check the entire home and always look out for all the signs that could lead you to the potential water leak issue the property is facing. It is imperative that the leak is found a way ahead of time so that the damage could be reduced as a whole.