Rings are the circular band of ornaments worn on fingers. Additionally, rings can also be worn on other body parts such as ear, neck, toe, and arm. Both men and women wear rings as a fashion statement to enhance their personality. Rings are usually made up of different types of metals, and each metal has its own characteristic features:
Tungsten rings are mostly known for their longevity. Tungsten carbide is a compound with tungsten and carbon, a bond so strongly built that it remains resistant to all environmental conditions.
Tungsten rings are scratch-resistant and tungsten as the material always holds on to its bright outlook of a new ring even after several years of use. These rings have very low maintenance, and they are permanently polished during their manufacture. Rings made of tungsten are not adaptable to size alterations by cutting or re-soldering, and the ring size should be carefully considered before buying.
Benefits of Tungsten Rings
- Rings made up of tungsten are imperishable and scratch-resistant.
- Tungsten rings are gleaming and there is no need of polishing the rings.
- Rings created with tungsten carbide are less expensive and suitable for a budget-friendly option for rings.
Detriments of Tungsten Rings
- Tungsten rings are bright and lustrous, but they are not so whitish and clear like Platinum.
- The size of the rings cannot be adjusted because of its hard nature.
- The tungsten rings do not bend when force is applied, but it can break if the force applied is too high.
Another robust metal after tungsten carbide is titanium, used for producing ring ornaments for both men and women. The metal titanium is very lightweight, therefore, it is a good option for making aesthetic rings with intricate designs.
However, like tungsten, titanium is tough and sturdy, and it is naturally occurring metal found on Earth. Tungsten rings are hypo-allergenic and safe to be cast into rings and other ornaments for people with skin sensitivity.
Titanium rings do not bend or form dents or scratches on the surface. Titanium cannot be soldered easily and because of its durable feature, there is a manufacturing limit to its designs and varieties.
Benefits of Titanium Rings
- Rings made of titanium are less expensive than rings made up of platinum, gold, silver, and other precious metals.
- The rings are a safe option for people with skin allergies and sensitivity as titanium is hypo-allergenic in nature.
Detriments of Titanium Rings
- Rings made up of titanium do not possess intricate designs and the varieties are very limited.
- Titanium rings are difficult to be recast into ornaments and the size of rings cannot be adjusted flexibly.
Comparison between Tungsten and Titanium Rings
Both of the metals – tungsten, and titanium have some similar characteristics, which makes them suitable for shouldering into ring ornaments. However, they possess some unique qualities also.
Both tungsten and titanium metals have a light greyish color. They are often compared with platinum, but they are not as whitish as platinum. They are found in darker shades naturally.
Tungsten rings are made up of tungsten carbide – compound made from tungsten and carbons. On the other hand, titanium is mostly alloyed along with vanadium and aluminum for molding into rings and other ornaments.
Worth of Metals
Tungsten and titanium metals are compared to Platinum for its outlook. However, these two metals are affordable and less expensive than other valuable metals.
Tungsten carbide is very heavyweight whereas titanium is very light-weight as compared to other metal rings. Titanium rings provide a very light feel when worn, and the tungsten ring feels heavier than the titanium ring.
Tungsten and titanium metals are very durable in nature. They are very hard and have permanent polish over them. They are stretch resistant and do not form cracks or dents on the surface.
Tungsten carbide is not skin-friendly metal and case irritation and allergy to some because of the presence of cobalt in them. On the contrary, platinum rings are hypoallergenic and appropriate for people with skin sensitivity.
Other Metals used in Rings
There are some other metals which are popularly used for making rings and other ornaments, such as:
- Gold – Gold is a very precious metal found in white and yellow colors. Pure gold is alloyed as different carats and is very expensive depending upon its purity.
- Platinum – Platinum rings are pure and highly expensive ornaments. It is used for engagement rings.
- Palladium – Palladium is a rare and precious metal from the platinum group of metals. It is the most luxurious option for rings.
- Silver – Silver rings are very less used for rings as they get oxidized easily. They are not so stable and resistant to daily wear and tear.
The most appropriate metal for rings can be selected and customized according to needs and requirements.