A weight loss surgery is not a cheap affair. It involves a lot of medicines and with it, comes a lot of costs. It also takes a toll on your body and everyone requires some time to recover from a weight loss surgery. One of the many fears that anyone might have after having a gastric sleeve surgery is that you will regain the weight you have lost after the surgery. You may regain all and even more weight after you have had the surgery. People generally start regaining the weight they lost after 12 to 18 months. So how do you make sure that you keep losing weight after gastric sleeve surgery? Before understanding this, let’s understand how and why weight is regained.
How weight is regained
It is basically how any average person gains weight. When people are done with their surgeries, the following year, they are very careful with what they are eating. Their eating proportions are nice and less. But as soon as a certain period has lapsed, they start eating a little more and different varieties of food thinking that they have already lost all the weight. With this, sometimes they also stop exercising regularly. What this will do is, it will make you gain weight as you are burning fewer calories now.
What happens is, when you gain weight, you need more calories to maintain your body’s energy. All of this will eventually result in you gaining more weight. All of your weight gains are related to your eating habits. So how do you control your weight?
How to control weight
Mentioned below are 8 tips which you can use to control your weight:
- You need to recognize that obesity is a chronic disease and it programs your body to gain weight. This will help you in getting a bariatric team behind you to keep your weight regulated.
- You have to stop being embarrassed about your weight. Sometimes people don’t approach the bariatric team to help them lose weight just because they are too embarrassed. Well, you shouldn’t be, they are only there to help you.
- You must have regular meet-ups with your bariatric team because they need to assess your progress from time to time.
- You have to follow the diet plan recommended nutrition plan so that you can maintain the muscle mass and weight in your body.
- You mustn’t keep snacking often and take note of the calories you are eating regularly. Extra calories will add to your weight, so you should be careful with that.
- One of the great ways to ensure that you keep your weight regulated is to join a group of people who are doing the same thing. Your bariatric team can get you in touch with people who are already in similar groups.
- If you think you would benefit more from meeting a person who has already been successful in what you are trying to do, then you can also ask your bariatric team to set you up with someone they know. You can ask them to mentor you as well.
- Even if you do gain a little weight, you can still have faith in yourself, and go at it again. We are human beings, not machines, so we are bound to make mistakes now and then. Them important thing is to pick yourself up and go at it again.
What you must remember is that bariatric surgery is a tool and not a magic wand which will help you lose weight and keep you like that forever. It is not a permanent solution but just a method to lose weight. Your lifestyle plays a huge role in keeping your body weight regulated.